Saturday, February 27, 2010

Last Sunset of 2009

I went out to Red Rock Canyon and photographed the last full moon rise of 2009. It was a blue moon which occurs when there are two full moons in a month. This was a special blue moon because the last one to occur on New Years Eve was in 1990 and the next one won't occur again until 2028. Hence the saying, "once in a blue moon." The moon rose about 30 minutes before sunset which allowed me to capture several good images, but my best shots were composed after the sun had set and the moon was to high in the sky to capture any detail in it. The above image called Calico Hills and Pastel Sky was shot after the sun was down and the Earth's shadow was starting to become visible in the sky. You can see it right above the Calico Hills. It is the darker band of color just starting to become visible. I used my Tamron 70-300mm lens at 300mm to isolate this beautiful scene. The image below, Moon Rise and last Light on Calico Hills, was taken from the same spot as the first image only 20 minutes earlier. For this scene I used more of wider angle with my Tamron 28-80mm lens at 50mm.
It's amazing what happens when you turn around and look. I was so focused on the Calico Hills and the beautiful pastel colors in the sky that I almost missed the amazing scene behind me. I had a hard time getting the exposure in the image to match what my eyes saw though. Either the sky was perfect and the cliffs were too dark or I ended up with a washed out sky (overexposed). I settled for something a little in between and did a little work in Photoshop to get the image to look as I saw. As you can see below it turned out pretty good. I call this image Wilson Cliffs at Sunset.





No comments:

Post a Comment